PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight rating on JAR PPL
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2003, 15:26
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting comments Beage...................

More than a few high hours group A PPL's have come sorely a cropper by underestimating familiarisation and training to convert to microlights.

1) Anyone who jumps in a flex wing with no training is going to have an accident (just try landing in a cross wind to really ruin your day)
2) 3 axis micros have NO INERTIA and similar to many early Kitfox accidents the requirement to fly the aircraft to a stand still after touchdown catches out many group A PPL's,

I am revalidating my group A at the moment and have to say that apart from the ridiculously laid out maze of dials, nobs and switches in the Cherokee, it is much easier to fly than some microlights because it flys itself and on the approach it just bears on down to the threshold with great momentum and little deviation from planned track.

It took me 6.5 hours to become comfortable enough to solo a Thruster micro after flying 150's, it has taken me 1.5 hours to become comfortable in a Cherokee after flying a Shadow for the last few years.

Tony

PS - Interesting your earlier post about the BMAA dragging their heels - please PM details - Thanks