PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to re-engineer airliner ventilation?
Old 24th Mar 2018, 20:03
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter47
One thing that bugs me is the trend away from individually adjustable air vents at each seat. Different people prefer different temperatures and cooler air stream and warmer cabin give pax at least some control.

I presume that its inclusion can be specified by individual airline (or is it not available as an option with some models of a/c)? As a matter of interest does can anyone in the know tell me if the deletion of individual vents does actually save airlines money, and if so how much?
It's more to the design trend of more 'open' cabins - especially on wide bodies. Individual air vents require a low overhead with the vents within easy reach of a seated passenger - a low overhead tends to feel claustrophobic and is counter to the open, airy cabin that most passengers prefer. So it's a trade off. I don't think cost plays a significant factor.
Personally, I don't miss the individual vents much - I almost never use them except on the ground.

Anyplace where you have a large number of people in a confined area, the risk disease transmittal goes way up - bus, train, movie theater, etc. - and an aircraft actually provides more 'fresh' air per person per unit time that most confined areas. A few years back I got a nasty virus while in Indonesia - when I flew back to Seattle (business class) I was quite thankful that no one was sitting close to me on either leg as I'm sure I was contagious...