PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2018, 17:48
G1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olster
Caveat emptor. Thomson is not the Britannia Airways of yore. Little stunts like asking for 7k for tr training costs should give you a clue. This is symptomatic of flight ops management who I would not buy a used car from. There is a big push to drive costs down and no surprise, pilots are the target. Reduced pension contributions, ludicrous basing arrangements, reduced allowances etc, etc. Once a really great company, now not so much.
I don't think that's all totally fair. it certainly doesn't have the benefits that Britannia of the 80's had but it's still well within the top three best carriers in the UK to work for (currently).

Looking past the ridiculous training cost arrangement which isn't popular with the work force in the slightest, AT THE MOMENT it's a great company to be at. People will compare it to what is was years ago and it certainly isn't that. If you want the option of living in "the regions", not commute and dabble with short and long haul then its the best airline in the UK to work for.

There are negotiations ongoing which have lets say, raised a few eye brows, but the airline has one of the strongest unions in the land and it's fair to say the workforce are severely pushing back on any changes that aren't positive, especially during the current recruitment climate and record company profits. I agree with Olster on a number of points he/she makes but none the less I believe it's still a great place to be with fantastic colleagues.

The Nordic operation is for 757/767 and 787 pilots. 737 will be UK based with the opportunity to go to Canada in the winter should you wish to bid. There is an accommodation option and and commuting option in Scandinavia (minimum 5 days off between trips - which you will need to commute during). All flights, trains, taxis etc are paid. It suits some and not others but if you're looking long term and are willing to do the Nordic op for a time period you can bid off at any point.

It's very hard to passionately say "apply!" because it's uncertain where the current negotiations will take the work force, but there's no harm in applying and going to find out what they have to say on the assessment day! I've been in the company a small number of years now and have loved every minute. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I hope it stays that way.

It was a great company, at the moment it's a great company (compared the vast majority in the UK despite cuts in Ts and Cs over the years). Time will tell if that remains to be the case...