PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF B744s VH-OEC, VH-OED Grounded
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2003, 10:09
pullock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIK_116.80,

I can say for certainty that this would have not happened in Australia. Having worked in Australia and throughout Asia and had the advantage of seeing first hand the differences between maintenance practises between here and there, I feel confident to make the statement that the same error would not have happened here. The systems in place and training and qualification in Australian aircraft maintenance are there to ensure the quality of work performed is of the highest standard. These systems, and training, and safety culture just aren't in place to the same degree in other countries.

When is a maintenance error not a safety issue?

Everyone who has experience in the area has been aware of the difficulty of maintaining quality in offshore maintenance, and this is a perfect example of this fact. You clearly have no idea of how engineering works, the role that the ALAEA plays when a maintenance error does occur in Australia, or the Australian regulations surounding maintenance recording, documentation or procedures. www.casa.gov.au might be a good place for you to start your learning experience.

Airlines carrying maintenance out in developing countries to take advantage of the low wages and poor exchange rates can only resuly in safety compromises, it just stands to reason. It is a safety concern that I hold, along with a great number of engineers, and I hold firm to my conviction that it needs to be looked in to by the regulator.

Last edited by pullock; 28th Sep 2003 at 11:35.