PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 24th Mar 2018, 13:54
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
Jesus H Christ, does this man ever learn?

Let’s get rid of capability we never use. Like the CBRN Regiment? And just look how that turned out. Nimrod MPA? Clearly as an island nation we have no need of such a capability. These may not have been his call, but the lessons from those decisions are clear. A global expeditionary capability and top tier status needs investment. Or do we no longer need to physically defeat enemies and hold ground? Not a view that Putin, Xi or our US and NATO allied subscribe to last time I checked.

The myopic incompetence of the managers - they aren’t leaders - is quite simply astonishing. Of course there will be no reduction in demand, just fewer people expected to do more with old kit not designed for the job. Does it really take a significant military loss before they actually bother to invest in the military? Of course it’s a lot easier when neither they nor their sons & daughters will have to deal with the fallout.

Incandescent doesn’t begin to describe it! Do the job you’re paid to do and fight for the Department rather than rolling over and dismantling it! And if you can’t put a case together then step aside for someone who can.
I admire your passion my friend; something I share.
While our world is a far more dangerous place than even the Cold War era, the general public seems to have almost no interest in our defence. Their mobile phones are far more interesting. I fear it will take a nasty incident to bring our wafer thin armed forces capability back into their conciseness and I exclude the current nerve agent issue from that.