PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA Rule Re Harness and Open Door Flights
Old 24th Mar 2018, 11:57
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nigelh
John Eacott wrote
CASA approvals nearly always require that a harness wearer be in a seat with the normal seat belt on and harness removed from the securing point during take off and landing; this ensures that only one release is needed at any time of flight.

Does this really happen ? So the pax take off with their harness unattached and then attach it before they release their seatbelt ? This seems unlikely especially if the attaching point is behind the seat ..and then who checks they have been attached properly? Or I guess the tethers are permanently fixed and you connect your harness to it during the flight .... once again how do you cope with one , of your 4 pax in the back , pulling the wrong part and not being able to re connect .
Maybe I’m missing something!!
Of course that happened with the approvals I had from CASA: I wouldn't have said it otherwise. It makes sense to ensure that the cameraman (NOT 'one of the four in the back' as you allude) is only having to release one harness in an emergency. The 'normal' seat belt in the course of a landing/take off incident, or the cameraman's harness in the event of an in-flight mishap.

You are missing that I am describing what was (and may still be) the requirements for the use of harnesses for dedicated aerial work operations where the harness is being worn by a cameraman or crewman, thoroughly briefed in the use of the harness and also the attachment points on the airframe.