PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2018, 11:12
jackrabbitslim7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
I'm 29 years old, only a few hours into my PPL, always wished to be a professional pilot (don't care if airline or not), I've seen that an air school in Poland have a 0 to fATPL, for 45 000 € in 18 month. I have the money, no mortgage, and would still have money left if I spend 50 - 70k in pilot training.

Am I too old to take the jump in 2018 (let's say 2019 because of the delay) ?
Also, let's say I get my fATPL in two years, so by 31 / 32 or even 33 to be pessimistic, do you think I stand a chance of finding a job ? I don't intend to go straight to airline but it seems to me that everybody is only aimed toward airliners as if it was the only sector recruiting. Are there no jobs in GA or Corporate in Europe or abroad ?

My main concern is the value of a fATPL, are you employable with this (even just para-drop, glider towing or instruction if I pass a FI certification) or are there so many pilots in the market that no places are available for a new old (let's say 33) pilot ? I would be willing to move anywhere for my first job (would be limited by visa so I suppose I could only fly in Europe maybe Asia or Africa).

At my age I know it's now or never, I won't do it if I have no chances at all of finding any kind of pilot job, but if it's possible, I would take the jump. Worst case scenario, I would have passed ppl vfr night and ifr always useful for a hobby, be short of 70k, and without a job, but I'm sure in my sector I would find another job easily.