PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA Rule Re Harness and Open Door Flights
Old 24th Mar 2018, 00:04
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiNedNZ
Gordy - Fair enough on the FAA comment - point taken.
I think we can all agree that this is in part a knee jerk reaction by the FAA and understandable based upon the negative press this accident is getting. Had they have been professional photographers in their own harnesses I suspect the out come "may" have been different. For one, there would have only been 2 people at most in the back---a photographer and assistant. I believe there is a way we can still operate with an equivalent level of safety assuming we do not fill up the helicopter as they did.

In the interim, the problem will be anytime an FAA inspector sees doors off, it will be "game on". Most will ramp check you and interpret the rules in the most restrictive way, rather than the other way round. So, hence my tough stance on the issue for now.

Hopefully working solutions will be available soon. HAI is forming a working group to look into these issues. As some know I am the Chairman of the HAI Tour Operator Committee, and also the Vice-Chair of TOPS, both organizations will probably have representation on the working group, along with I assume the FAA and NTSB.