PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC-135 crashes into ocean near Port Hedland off Western Australias Pilbara coast
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 20:51
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Same again
We all know that it is possible to fly IFR in most helicopter types so long as there is an AI, ASI, VSI and Altimeter. I used to do it in single engine, unstabilised helicopters in the military but I had a master green instrument rating, lots of instrument time and it was all over land. What concerns me is that inexperienced and non-instrument rated pilots are expected to depart from a lit ships helideck into a pitch black night without any of the aids currently available.

Filing an IFR flight plan and flying IFR is something that is routine when flying offshore in most parts of the world because it leads to a safer operation. If a particular Civil Aviation Authority deems it not necessary then so be it but it is still madness in this day and age to fly VFR in what are obviously non-VMC conditions .
Now you are becoming insulting; do you really think that an MPT pilot is inexperienced and thrown into such an operation without any training whatsoever? And that the helicopter used is not equipped such as to give all the necessary aids to carry out the task?

I refer to my last post which tried to politely point out that there are some posting here with little or no idea about what aviation is about outside their own area of experience, and you may do well to actually research our geography and operations.