PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 11:46
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a thread creep but still interesting. All those who determine "Captains only" means exactly that are correct. Develop the thread and suggest that FO could/should fly the approach but still let Capt land are technically correct but not in the spirit of the ruling.

Long time ago, Funchal in Madeira was Capt Only and Cat C. The visual, curved approach was such that on finally levelling wings on completion of the "approach" there was very little time to decide whether a landing could be met, let alone a last minute switch of handling. Better let Capt do the whole thing. That is, actually, the spirit of the regulation.

Now, we don't want to go to far into the old BEA monitored app. For Cat 3, "blind in the fog" landings, RHS did the approach but with typical DH of 50ft, Capt response to "Decide" was "Land" but with the latter calling the shots and George now continuing to land. Oh yeah, confused ? Watch those guys in cavok at LHR and it was a larf a minute. RHS always did the app. Capt Always did the landing. DH call would be around 200ft but success was pretty well anticipated many miles out. Yet, we still did the "soft shoe shuffle" at 200ft with some interesting minor divergences leading to a thump in the guts as we "arrived".

Creeping back to thread ; I too been into & out of Kat many times. Wouldn't dream of a monitored approach. I too hated dipping my nose into the valley, higher rate of Descent, often tail wind, upsloping runway, on limits and getting it all right for the touch was better handled by someone handling all the way. GA needed to be well rehearsed and briefed as, I recall, it was a turn in one direction if all donks were running and, in a twin, a opposite direction turn if you happen to be on one. I got a very funny look from my initial Trainer when I asked what do we do if a donk fails during a two-engine GA.

Capt Only airfiields are just that & as Ironbutts correctly exhorts, It is a Regulatory requirement, adopted in the SOPs. Stick your head above ground, like one Poster, who claims he regularly breaks the Company SOPs and you are headed towards a Court appearance.