PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA Rule Re Harness and Open Door Flights
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 08:31
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by heliduck
All good points which have been previously mentioned, from my experience the seat belt attachment points are not the weak point of a squirrel, it’s the seats (pre B3), the seat belts stay intact & fastened as the seat disintegrates underneath you.
The seat belt point in a Squirrel are designed for the pull of the belts when worn by a seat occupant. To use them as an attachment for a cameramans harness will put lateral forces on them most likely outside the approved limits. We're not talking about the seat integrity in this thread.

Originally Posted by TUPE
An operator I’m familiar with used to attach monkey-harnesses to removeable cargo floor tie-down rings for open door Ops. Given that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link can anyone see a potential problem here? An accident waiting to happen in my humble opinion.
Previous research I did when using the same claw tie-down rings in my BK117 showed the tie down was rated for lateral and vertical forces well beyond the weight of the cameraman and gear, but you would have to check the rating of the cargo floor of the aircraft model you are using.