PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 06:15
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
Totally agree with the first part, however I disagree with the second part:
I remember transitioning as PIC to a different type and on my first trip after OE/linetraining, had a late evening arrival with gusty winds into San Sebastian (LESO), special training required but both PIC and FO can land. The FO was new (less than a year). I decided to be PM, because I knew I would definitely call the GA if I wasn't comfortable with the approach, but I was not sure if a inexperienced FO would call the GA on an "experienced" PIC (I was experienced, just not on type/destination). My brother is merchant marine, the captain never holds the control but always monitors.
Hello Hans

I am confused. Are you arguing for or against the company deciding who handles into an airport? Your decision is exactly the right one in my opinion and the same as the decision I made operating into LESO. Lovely place, got filmed departing (youtube 9H-COL). I think you have identified one reason why it is important that the crew decide who is PF and who is PM... Your ability to assess the approach and decide if it should be discontinued is based on your ability to fly it. Your cockpit and aeroplane is safer as a result
https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif