PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 05:57
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piratepete
Glen, im sorry but you are talking complete rubbish.First of all it is the operators right to decide this issue in the interests of safety.Quite often the demanding nature of any particular operation (take off or landing) requires a high level of experience to ensure a safe level of handling.This is not the Captains choice but the operators im afraid.In general it is the PIC who has this required level of expertise, not the effoh.

What is very often overlooked is that the pilot monitoring (copilot when the PIC MUST be the PF) has a very very important and demanding role.....of monitoring what the PF is doing.Many Captains are good handling pilots but, poor at PM.Leave this function to the F/O.Often they are much better at this role.
Totally agree with the first part, however I disagree with the second part:
I remember transitioning as PIC to a different type and on my first trip after OE/linetraining, had a late evening arrival with gusty winds into San Sebastian (LESO), special training required but both PIC and FO can land. The FO was new (less than a year). I decided to be PM, because I knew I would definitely call the GA if I wasn't comfortable with the approach, but I was not sure if a inexperienced FO would call the GA on an "experienced" PIC (I was experienced, just not on type/destination). My brother is merchant marine, the captain never holds the control but always monitors.

ps: Also have to take big issue with "Many Captains are good handling pilots but, poor at PM. Leave this function to the F/O.Often they are much better at this role". After 20 years I have much more experience than most of the FOs I fly with. I can let them fly the plane, and know that if needed I can suggest/direct/take over if needed. I fly with a lot of new FOs, so I am definitely better at handling, but that does not make them better at monitoring. If you want to be a good captain you let your FO be the PF as much as possible, he will learn much more from doing than watching, if you can't be a good PM as PIC you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by hans brinker; 23rd Mar 2018 at 06:12. Reason: ps added