PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 04:14
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dangly Bits,
Interesting you should mention Chino, my favorite spot in the LA basin. Particularly Flo's Airport Cafe, don't know who made it for them, but best apple cobbler around. Even if their coffee was crook. My 60th was hangar party at Chino, what a night that was!!

Now back to the thread, sadly, Australian Class D is not like US D.

It was several CASA Directors back that our capital city (and a few others) secondary airports operating conditions were stuffed up.

We had the US weather conditions for VFR in Class D changed to "harmonize with ICAO", resulting in what we have now, Bankstown (and presumably others) closed to VFR when, under the old tried and tested VFR (US) conditions, it would have been open to VFR. For many years, there was no problem, until CASA created a problem.

CASA is quick enough to "harmonize" if it means greater restrictions and costs, but it is always a one -way ratchet.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I have had many somewhat similar landing clearances at KLAX, (or KJFK or KSFO) with something somewhat larger than you will ever see at Chino strapped to my backside ---- all works just fine.