PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA Rule Re Harness and Open Door Flights
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 02:09
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ask me

ARS does sell a TSO'ed harness but the tether does not appear to have any aviation type approvals. It would seem that the need is for a harness AND tether that is made to work together. I think the Rostan type release buckle that ARS uses is in fact a quick release but good luck trying to get to the one attached to your back or the one on the floor or wall as you are rolling over in the water or seeing smoke and flames( even with a short lanyard on the small ring). A three ring release with the handle attached to the front of the harness is probably the best out there and the 3 ring should be on your back, or better yet on your shoulder like a sport parachute rig so you can actually see it, not the floor. You don't want to be draging your tether behind you. Sorry but the whole thing just isn't right for the non-professional public. It would be awesome to bungee jump off the Empire State building but nobody needs to do that. Be happy with a helicopter ride with doors on and charge less for a non window seat. Why don't you just remove the door windows if you need to put the lense in the slipstream. It's only a matter of time before someone's " well tied sneaker" says hello up close to a tail rotor blade....yeah I know I am a curmudgeon. There is another thread on the forum about words of wisdom related to flying helicopters, good stuff. I always like to ask the question, " what's the worst that could happen".