PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiring planes for longer
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 01:23
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The problem with primary trainers is they are only good for two hours flying
You can’t go anywhere.
When I mean primary, I mean anything powered by a Continental O-200 of Lycoming O-235 or similar.
You will soon out grow one of these.
Then you’ll wish you’d never bought it.
Hmmm... I've owned a C 150 for 31 years, and more than 3000 hours. I can carry my wife, two folding bikes in the back, and a bit of luggage - from Canada to Florida or the Bahamas. I've flown it to Texas, and the mountains in western Canada. It's dispatch reliability has been only two flights missed in all those years and hours. And it was fully paid for in the first year. A plane is what you make of it. I'm not pushing the idea that a C 150 is good or bad, but smaller planes are affordable, and can make a long trip, albeit in shorter steps.

My other aircraft, two seat, 180HP is slower than the 150, and flies about as far on a tank.

By comparison, I've flown a C 182 amphibian around Scandinavia, and across Europe. It was not much faster, and would not carry much more than my 150, but it sure burned a lot more gas! It can land in water twice though

Every plane has its specialty, and some can be adequate in other roles too, get to know them, before you choose!