PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - INCIDENT AT VALLEY
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 19:21
NutLoose

Received 2,870 Likes on 1,231 Posts
People keep complaining about the photographer so I thought I'd say my thoughts as a keen amateur photographer, a lot appears to revolve around the RAF's request, well it is just that, a request, copyright belongs to the photographer and rightly or wrongly it is up to him to decide what happens to his images.

Yes, he has sold then via an agency to the press and so is making money from them, but that does not mean he hasn't also provided them to the RAF to assist in their investigation.

Photography is a double edged sword and an expensive one at that, I currently own over 20K's worth of camera equipment and I am just an amateur, a lot of you probably are unaware a single lens can cost 10k though the most I have paid is about half that. Without people funding their hobby and spending time at the fence, the RAF would have nothing image wise to assist them, hence the double edge sword, would I have provided my images to the RAF and AAIB, undoubtably yes, but that's the ex RAF / Aircraft Engineer in me, would I consider selling any of them, that's a hard one, possibly as long as they do not include any distressing scenes, but in this case probably no.
Back to the photographer involved, I do not know his financial status, so the thousand or so he may get per image could well be life changing for him and I do not begrudge him that, and if he has provided the images then they will be of valuable assistance to the inquiry. With out the likes of him they would have none.
As for the Daily Fail printing them, end of the day they are a newspaper and that is what they do no matter how odious we see it personally, on the same note the BBC was running the film on their website of the Uber cab right up to it hitting the victim.

Last edited by NutLoose; 22nd Mar 2018 at 21:05.