PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure on take off roll, RTO then ....
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 14:09
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW - B737 - the guidance notes in the Brake cooling schedule state words to the effect that "when in fuse plug melt zone, clear the runway immediately, do not set the park brake unless necessary and wait at least an hour............"

Love it. SOP in some companies is RTO = Park Brake set; analyse the problem; take action as required; further reassess; etc. etc.

The time taken to then calculate the brake cooling schedule to see if you are in the fuse plug melt zone...........I suspect there are many who could not do it in the relaxed state of a classroom, never mind the stresses caused by a high speed RTO. Good game.

In previous companies the whole RTO scenario is taught really piss poorly. It is a tick in the box exercise. Low speed LVO RTO & higher speed RTO, followed by evac. Every 6 months, that's it. Educationally quite useless.
I've only had one RTO and for the most bizarre and inexplicable reasons. It was at 90-100kts on a 2200m dry runway. Lots of tarmac ahead. It seemed daft to follow the SOP RTO of keeping the brakes in RTO auto mode and TR's in full detent until stopping within half the runway, and then having to put power on to vacate 300m ahead. IMHO there really needs to be less trained monkey and more education. Trained monkey is great on a dark nasty night in a worse case scenario. Training kicks in. Excellent. But there are times when it is not appropriate and yet some are being trained there is no discretion. Hm?

Last edited by RAT 5; 22nd Mar 2018 at 15:32.