PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around. Garuda 737 crash March 2007
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 13:03
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Many years ago when we were part of a team training Air Asia cadet pilots in the Air New Zealand B737 simulator, I told the cadets that their society placed culture above everything, but they should never permit culture to over-rule flight safety in the cockpit.

One of them asked what he should do if the captain was clearly intent on pressing on regardless with an obviously unstable approach which looked like ending in disaster and had ignored the co-pilot's warning calls. The only thing I could think of was the F/O as a last resort should call out loudly "Go Around - Landing gear is UP" and then immediately retract the landing gear.

No crazy culture-ridden captain will deliberately land wheels up just to make a point and hopefully he will go-around. Later he will blame you for the GA and doubtless you will be sacked in that society; but you may have saved a hundred lives including your own. Some may argue that is dangerous advice and the captain might land wheels up. My thoughts were that you were going to crash anyway so you may as well force a GA and hope for the best.