PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular PPL (?)
Thread: Modular PPL (?)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:34
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY few people pass at 45h sharp... I don't see it doing much harm getting SOME tuition in Canada, even if it doesn't count towards your EASA licence. It could be fun, the scenery is incredible, and it could immerse you in this whole flying malarky!

More importantly however, it could reduce the additional hours that you would otherwise need to pass your PPL in the UK. For instance, if you did 10 - 15 hours in Canada, perhaps you might even do your first solo circuit too. When you come back to the UK, if you keep flying (semi) regularly, you will know that you will likely only require the minimum 45 hours stipulated by EASA to be done in the UK. (just remember to be humble about your prior achievements)

There are SOME differences to the flying, and operating procedures, but the plane itself definitely flies the same!

A few tips that I can't emphasise enough though,

1. get a trial lesson in the UK before you go, see if you like / love it enough to give up time, enthusiasm and other endeavours to prioritise flying.

2. if you're not young and in full health with no prior medical issues, get a class 2 medical to make sure you're not wasting your time.

3. Do some groundschool prior to embarking your journey to get a basic understanding of flying and what each bit roughly entails (I like the Pooley books, people like different mediums). In the UK, you generally need airlaw exam before first solo, but it will make you understand parts of the syllabus being taught.

4. Never pay upfront!

I hope this helps!