PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check list mnemonics/lists
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2003, 02:36
Airbedane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This subject is a real biggy! I've operated with generic lists, memory only, read only, some memory items with some read items, do then check, and only do when read, all with various outfits and operations and all had good reason for their methods.

I suppose the only fundamental is that you should only use the approved and certified checklist for the machine you're flying. Having said that, if a generic list is checked against the certified list, then it may work, but why bother if you're only flying one or two types.

The other fundamental is to make sure you actually do the check. I have a major problem with instructors who teach C150 downwind VA's to include 'undercarriage down'. It's irelevant to the Cessna and all the student will learn is to do nothing when 'Undercarriage' comes up on the list. It seems to me to be a perfect set up for a cognitive wheels up, if ever there was one.

I was given the following mnemonics for the Chipmunk pre-take off and pre-landing checks whilst on a UAS at White Waltham (aaaaaaaaaah!) in 1969:

'Typhoo Tea Makes Fiery Fred's Goolies Go Purple Ha Ha!' and 'My Friend Fred Has Hairy Balls'. Respectively: 'trim, throttle friction, mixture, fuel, flaps, gyros, gauges, pitot heat, harness, hood' and 'mixture, fuel, flaps harness, hood, brakes'.

While relating this to an 'Old Hairy' who was teaching me to fly 1-11's in the 90's, he gave me his pre-take off mnemonic: "Tickle My P***s For (a) F*****g Great Hard"! Perhaps better suited to Jet Blast than here, but unforgettable, all the same..........

A