PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocopter crash off Queensland north coast
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 06:43
as350nut

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So it seems that experienced, pilots that have done either one or multiple HUET exercises state that it is difficult proposition to get out of a submersed helicopter, and that it might be very difficult to successfully extricate oneself in a real water emergency. Also that, they, with that experience believe it very unlikely that a paying passenger would, without that training be able to get themselves out. So what is a pilot in commands, duty of care to a passenger entail, in every over water flight.

Pre Flight Briefing should start

" Here is your life jacket I am now going to brief you on what happens if we ditch at sea; but may as well not listen because if it all goes bad I am really the only one that has a chance to get out because I have had all this HUET training that you haven't, and try as I may, even if I get out by the time I do that your toast anyway, if you don't work it out for yourself."

So can we as pilots in good conscious take passengers over water?
Do we care?
Is it unfair that with my training if it all goes bad I know I have a (good) chance to get out, but my passengers don't.
Why is it HUET for the pilot and not the passenger? ( I know the answer)