PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around. Garuda 737 crash March 2007
Old 21st Mar 2018, 21:32
RenegadeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
One wonders how many current Pprune readers would have read about that accident and learned the important lesson from it that pressing on with an unstable approach instead of going around again, can lead to disaster. It also reveals the danger on the flight deck of a `Real men don't go around` ethnic culture that pervades in some aviation societies.
This "`Real men don't go around` ethnic culture" is one of the reasons I just won't travel on many airlines based in some countries where high levels of male bravado and belief in testosterone-based "manliness" exist. As we've all seen, that type of attitude and modus operandi is a major cause of accidents and, although many of the carriers from places where these attitudes are endemic have done a lot of work on improving their safety, where there's very high level of "don't speak up because you don't want to cause your superior to lose face" culture in the society in general, the accidents will keep on happening. This one was an appalling example. You'd have to kidnap me at gunpoint to see me travelling on an airline like Garuda.