PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiring planes for longer
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 19:32
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
In my opinion...

- Club rental, forget it, they won't let you at any reasonable rate.

- Join a syndicate, should be no problem.

- Or do a deal with a private owner who trusts you and doesn't use their aeroplane enough.

Light aircraft touring holidays are a lot of fun, but also demand a lot of flexibility from you, and whoever you are with. You WILL have diversions, weather problems, aircraft snags, and MAY NOT make it anywhere when you actually planned for it. I've done 5½ flying hours this week, a long trip, business conference, flight back - great views, nice excuse to fly in working hours, actually fairly affordable and on this occasion saved me about a day of my time. But at least 50% of such trips I've either ended up diverting somewhere en-route, been late at one end or the other, or simply given up and gone by other means. GA is not a reliable way of getting from A to B.

My 1/18th of a 4-seat spamcan, share value about £1300, costs me £40/month and £100/hr tacho in an aeroplane that typically cruises around 100 knots. You can do the sums yourself about what will mean for the trips you want - but yes I can take it away for a week with prior warning. That is as cheap as it'll usually get. I am only paying for the flying I do (and airport fees of course). For this trip that was £470 (tacho increments slower than the clock most of the time), and about £70 in airport fees - the round trip was 260nm each way and I could have taken a passenger and small dog at the same rates. Until the day before leaving however, I still had a backup plan to go by train.

G