PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiring planes for longer
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 18:57
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Little acquainted with the UK club scene as I am, I still think the previous recommendations are spot on. Even if a real club does not aim at profit, it still wants to see its investment used to optimal efficiency.

But most of all, allow me to warn against over-optimistic ambitions. If neither of you two have a job, you are under no time constraints, but if either can only get two weeks off work you may well spend all of that waiting for suitable weather to depart. Even worse, you could depart and spend some lovely days in the South, then be blocked for a week or even more by inclement weather prohibitng your return flight. Can that be explained to the boss? Worse even, imagine some minor damage to the plane - stuck in a pothole upon landing or taxiing on an unknown grass field, bend nose leg, break prop - travel home on Ryanair and how do you get the plane recovered?

Sorry to spoil the fun but there's a thousand things that can go wrong on such a trip. Begin by getting your PPL - or perhaps a lower license, microlights and LSA's are looking better and better - at least you will have the fun of learning, and the excitement of your first solo, and of your first cross country navigation. Only then can you begin to find if travelling on a small plane is really what you and your partner will enjoy - not everybody likes to sit for hours upon hours in a confined space with quite some noise and p...ing in a bottle for lack of better conveniences.

PS and if you hope/plan to fly to those Southern destinations, do brush up your languages! English will do fine in North and Central continental Europe but the small fields in the South really require local language, both on the radio and for negotiating fuel, local transport, lodging &c after landing.