PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Fund B-52 Engine Replacement
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 17:12
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornish-stormrider
Ok....

But don't say we didn't warn you.....
Someone put the popcorn on, I'll get the pizza in the oven.
This will make an entertaining saga.

The book is..... Will it come in on.....??

1. Cost
2. Spec
3. Time
4. Without a significant political scandal

My twenty quid ( donating to RAFA if I lose ) says this won't achieve any of those four aims - but the closest to the mark will be spec
Hmmmm. The C-5 RERP project (Re-engine and Reliability Program) successfully replaced four mechanical turbofans with four FADEC turbofans on 52 C-5 airframes. Airframes that were designed and built with 100% mechanical and analog systems. First fllight of the C-5 was 1968. Delivery of the last B-52 was in 1962, so they are roughly the same vintage technology wise, but with the B-52 receiving many more upgrades during its service life than the C-5.

Before C-5 RERP USAF successfully undertook the KC-135 re-engine program, replacing the old J-57 turbo jets with modern CFM-56 turbofans. And before that industry (in this case GammaCorp with Douglas doing the actual engineering) very successfully undertook the re-engining of DC-8 airliners with CFM-56 turbofans. 707s (similar to but not the same as KC-135) have also been successfully re-engined with CFM-56 engines, with the last 10 years or so of production (all military derivatives of the 707) being equipped with CFM-56s. And then there are the many re-engining programs that fitted JT-8D low bypass turbofans to several different aircraft.

And finally, do not forget that the B-52 itself has already undergone an engine change over its lifetime, replacing J-57 turbojets with TF-33 turbo fans.

So what's the bottom line? This kind of project is not something new to either industry nor USAF, and has been completed very successfully multiple times on multiple different airframes. Is caution warranted? Certainly. Is the deep skepticism and even cynicism displayed here warranted? NOT.

Last edited by KenV; 21st Mar 2018 at 17:41.