PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiring planes for longer
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2018, 14:50
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Hi Coastfields, welcome to PPRuNe...

To answer your question.... It depends! This is something you have to work out with the aircraft provider. Yes, if you take a plane away for days at a time, the aircraft provider will want to recover some of the "lost opportunity" that the aircraft could have provided while is was there. That is best handled by discussing your plan.

An example of this occurred for me a long time ago with my flying club at the time. I wanted to go for a week. They said that if I took a C 152, there would be a minimum 8 hours per day charge for the aircraft, because as a trainer, they would use it that much. However, if I rented the Cessna 177RG, it would be only 4 hours a day, because that aircraft was not rented as much, and was not a trainer. Yes, it was much more by the hour, but still not as much as the 152 would have been, so I took it. It ended up that my average was 3.8 hours a day, and that's what they charged me.

Once you're licensed, you may find that joining a group ownership of an aircraft offers the freedom you'd like