PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTO
Thread: RTO
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2000, 11:07
Captain Tobias Wilcox

Unhappy

Following Checkboard's post above in which he states that there is a margin built in to V1 for decision-making, I've now been able to check the following, by way of crossing 't's and dotting 'i's:

'The decision speed (V1) is the highest speed BY WHICH THE PILOT SHOULD HAVE MADE THE MENTAL DECISION TO REJECT THE TAKE-OFF...' (My capitals).

Reaction delays after V1 of up to two seconds are to allow for the execution of the appropriate actions to intitiate the reject.

'V1 must be respected as the latest speed by which a decision to stop must have been taken to assure a stopping capability within the distance available on a limiting runway'.

Thus, there is no 'thinking time' available after V1. My point about an FO calling a problem, say, five knots prior to V1, and thus setting in place a reject which occurs at a speed greater than V1, stands firm. Sorry, Checkboard, you need a re-think.

Source: AIC 141/1998 (Pink 182).

[This message has been edited by Captain Tobias Wilcox (edited 29 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Captain Tobias Wilcox (edited 29 October 2000).]