PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Plane crash' at Nepal's Kathmandu airport
Old 21st Mar 2018, 02:07
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aterpster
It really boils down to "aviagate" "navigate" then "communicate."
I agree with that. But it doesn't seem that there's an obvious problem (i.e. declaration of emergency) that warrants flying something without requesting it first, or at least a short while after starting to doing it (that last bit as a sort of a benefit of doubt in case of a hectic cockpit for whatever reason). ATC is the first to notice they're deviating from their clearance. IMO they failed to do any of those three "golden rules" in a proper manner. They shouldn't crash if they've done them properly, but FWIW, initially at least, I think they attempted to aviate but failed to navigate and communicate (efficiently anyway).

@eternal: I don't get it mate. Why would they suffer from hypoxia (at 5-6k ft anyway!) and, based on what has been said here, after a considerable amount of flight time (around 1hr). Plenty of things should have happened before if that was the case.

My first questions would be:
- What happened with the first approach? Everyone else seems to have managed it. There isn't an obvious sign of why they botched/missed it
- What happened in the cockpit after missing that first approach, regarding decision-making, PF/PM duties?

Everything else after that I think is just the consequence/poor execution of these decisions/actions