PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pasadena Police - two OH-58s make contact
Old 20th Mar 2018, 14:43
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TomCoupling,
Right on, Bob's your uncle, absolument,however you want to put it. Even the NTSB can be overly sympathetic when there are ways that culprets may be construed as victims for reasons that swirl around an accident. I'm not saying there were no mitigating factors, just that only one person could determine whether this accident happened or not and they could do that by doing perhaps the most important thing a VFR pilot has to do while flying and that is of course to see and avoid. That sometimes isn't enough even for the most vigilant among us. They don't have to fly straight or smooth; those are not life or death. The final report may and should have the mitigating factors listed but the cause was controlled flight into a stationary object (stationary even though the blades were turning). It doesn't mean she is a bad pilot. That may only be judged by a career wide view by people who are peers. It just means they had a split second lapse ( or a bit longer) and there but for the grace go most of us.
I caused an accident many years ago that had the potential to be the textbook example of a certain type of aviation accident. Multiple people could have been killed. We were all lucky that day and barely a drop of blood was spilled. There was much mechanical damage. In the end I knew I had trusted certain things to be true which it turned out were not, due to others shortcuts. Their shortcuts were not used as my excuses as much as I would have loved to defer the blame. Sometimes we goof. My life would have been very different if there had been injuries and almost unbearable if I had caused a death. The pilot in this accident should go to sleep every night with a smile that everyone walked away.