PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
Old 20th Mar 2018, 09:54
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by draglift
Down route a while ago in my hotel room I found myself watching (once again) The film Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines which was made in 1964. I have always been interested in the making of this film. I understand some aircraft were originals, some were made for the film and some contraptions were doubtless incapable of flight and only "flew" due to cranes and wires that were not visible. Apparently there were 6 planes that actually flew and they were flown by 6 pilots I thought I might ask a few questions as although I have trawled the internet I have not found the answers.

I believe one aircraft landed on the Long Walk that leads up to Windsor Castle. I very much doubt anyone could jump through the hoops required to get approval to do that these days. Was it really the Long Walk or just somewhere else made to look like it? I know that what was meant to be Brooklands was actually Booker.

Does anyone know if there were any (unintentional) aviation accidents or incidents during the filming?

My favourite aircraft was the Demoiselle flown by Joan Hughes. Did that continue to fly after the film came out or did it only fly during the filming?

It’s a remarkable film considering it was done without trick photography. I suppose any similar film these days would fall foul of health and safety regulations, need hi viz jackets and would not get CAA approval ? Also much of it would be considered racist, politically incorrect . “There is nothing a German officer cannot do” etc. The film is another example of something that could be done in the 60’s but probably could not be done now. I am sure anyone involved n the making of the film would be quite elderly now and it would be a shame if any really interesting snippets, locations and anecdotes about the making of the film and the flying never come to light. So anyone’s experiences would be welcome. ( I have seen all the interviews of certain cast members and the director on Youtube.)
Don't think 'The Long Walk' in Windsor Great Park was used, it's too undulating; I always thought they had used somewhere like 'Wimpole Hall' near Cambridge.
Much of the flying was done at Booker. My brother worked at a factory just down the road at the time and he told me the set of Brookley/Brooklands (including the sh1t works) was on the north side where the clay shooting range is now.
The Boxkite was another which was underpowered using I think a VW engine which was 'cowelled in' to disguise it and hence causing overheating problems. On one occasion transitting from Old Warden back to Booker, it failed to gain enough height to cross the Chiltern Hills and had to lob into Halton to allow the engine to cool down (story told to me by the late 'Honey Monster' who was a staff cadet on 613 GS at the time)