PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?
Old 20th Mar 2018, 07:56
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mustangsally - very much agree with your observations about how it was “back in the day”.

My first multi crew airplane, I was the only non-smoker. Two guys up front chain smoking from gear up to landing flaps. Walking 50 feet from the aircraft a lighting up and waiting for transport to the hotel for another round of drinks and steaks
Much the same here....vividly remember on one Africa trip a pair of chain smokers (the captain and the flight engineer) sitting in a cloud of cigarette smoke over a meal, sinking their n’th scotch whilst at the same time being very vocal about the risks of this job and how work was going to impact on their longevity.....and of course as for the radiation worries, well let’s say they weren’t worried enough to wear either hats or sunscreen for their round of golf the next day

Don’t get me wrong, It is good we are better informed these days, but there’s a danger of perhaps being overly obsessive.