PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind approaches
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2003, 20:50
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head Bolt asked:
If downwind approaches are not part of the FAA syllabus, how do the students acquire the skills and knowledge required to perate safely if circumstances require a downwind approach ?
Well...circumstances should never "require" a downwind approach. And students (i.e. candidates for a Private certificate) shouldn't be taught those "skills." That should be obvious.

Downwind approaches are an advanced technique. They are not "as safe" as an into-the-wind approach. Nor are they even "safe" on their own. Just the opposite; they are extremely risky. And we should not minimize that risk by the casual admission that downwind approaches are "just sometimes necessary." Not all of us feel that way. I will do everything in my power to avoid a downwind approach. (Of course, the aircraft I fly has a strong weathervaning tendency which complicates the termination of a downwind landing, especially if a run-on is required.)

For the FAA to include and recommend them, it would be tantamount to endorsing downwind approaches as an acceptable procedure. And there is no way they're going to do that - just as there is no way that they'd approve teaching "no-flare" autos. Sure, such an auto can be done, but is it safe? And would you want to teach a low-time student to do a no-flare auto? I don't think so. As with downwind landings, there are just too many variables. The FAA's attitude has always been that the safest aircraft is one that does not fly. If it's not safe, then just don't do it. To the FAA, it really is as simple as that.

The trouble is, helicopters don't fly within the confines of a book. They fly out there in the real world, where the helicopter pilot is sometimes faced with conditions that are not ideal. The amount of challenge each pilot accepts will vary, depending on his own perceived skill level, knowlege and guts. Even at my advanced hour level, there have been situations in which something was asked of me and I've said, "Not today, guys. At least, not with me at the controls." The task may not have been all that difficult, and another pilot might have attempted it willingly.

But looking back over the years, I've heard about many, many accidents. And of those that did not involve the aircraft simply coming apart, my first question was almost always, "Where was the wind?" The direction of the wind is critical to safe helicopter flying. Operating with it on your tail is something that must be done very cautiously, and by pilots who are well acquainted with the hazards and risks. In other words, not students.