PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How unhealthy is flying/Being a Commercial Pilot?
Old 19th Mar 2018, 17:45
mustangsally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every career has its health hazard. Even the seamstress getting stabbed by a dirty needle and thread. In the sixties, when pilots had to retire at 60 in the US, there was a study that the average life expectancy after retirement was THREE years. Smoke, drink and have another kilo of beef life style. My first multi crew airplane, I was the only non-smoker. Two guys up front chain smoking from gear up to landing flaps. Walking 50 feet from the aircraft a lighting up and waiting for transport to the hotel for another round of drinks and steaks.

As a side note, I would often entertain myself by cleaning all the glass gauges. Wondered why the little whippy was always coming off yellow. Then, oh, that's the same color coming out the pressure valve back on the tail, yellow nicotine.

As the career progress, I'd always bid trips that departed about 10 in the morning, fly about two or three legs, each day and be home three days latter before dinner.

Actually the most dangerous part was driving on the express way, to and from the airport.