PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 19th Mar 2018, 15:28
Torquelink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster15
Quite agree. I have written to my MP on a number of occasions raising the issue of the progressive rundown of the RAF in particular.
Unfortunately, his responses were all the same - simply restating the government position despite me asking for his views.
As a result I wrote to the Secretary of state for Defence. After waiting for months all I got was a pre printed letter stating that I should raise my concern with my MP!!!
I will keep trying but would urge other PPRUNEers to write to their MP.
I did exactly the same: wrote both to my MP and the Defence Secretary with, predictably, exactly the same results as you - and until the issue becomes of wider concern, that's all we'll ever get.

I do find it strange that, for example, at the very least the defence industry, ex-service organisations and other concerned parties have not managed to set up a professional "defence truth" group to educate the population on defence actualities and to respond robustly to the usual platitudes put out by politicians. I rather thought that RUSI might do the job but apparently not.