PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 19th Mar 2018, 15:10
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquelink
So why isn't there a professional lobby group running a long term campaign in the media - especially social media - constantly reminding the populace at large that our defences are woeful and need to be prioritised? Every time some politician spouts the usual "2%, fifth largest budget blah blah" nonsense, the same outfit would hit back with the actual facts such that defence begins to creep up the priority concerns of voters at large. Once politicians see there are votes in it, funds will follow. Such a course absolutely should not be necessary but, regrettably, that may be the only way of getting some serious attention - and funding - applied to the matter.
Quite agree. I have written to my MP on a number of occasions raising the issue of the progressive rundown of the RAF in particular.
Unfortunately, his responses were all the same - simply restating the government position despite me asking for his views.
As a result I wrote to the Secretary of state for Defence. After waiting for months all I got was a pre printed letter stating that I should raise my concern with my MP!!!
I will keep trying but would urge other PPRUNEers to write to their MP.