PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobiles ring out air warning
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2003, 19:22
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the reports and ensuing discussion are based on a UK CAA report I thought I'd step in with some background from us here in blighty.

For the cynics especially you should be aware of this:

Two years ago I attended a CAA conference on additional 'glass' in the flight deck. This meant imported glass - they wanted to encourage, improve and 'de-impede' the adoption of laptop and PDA devices for performance planning, nav plates Etc. New guy in charge and new attitude. We all held hands and had a group hug. Question regarding cell phones came up and boffins wheeled out to say that the basic principles of how the phones poll, lock on and the power transmitted were a total non event but they were going to carry out a formal study.

Roll forward 18 months and the report comes out - total change of attitude. The things many have noted over the years occured under rigorous test conditions.

Yes, they may not have ever happened to you in the aircraft you fly but they are now proven. For the truly cynical you have to ask this question of the report: What's in it for them?? Mobiles are already completely banned in all phases of flight. Other electronics in certain phases.

This damascene conversion is embarrassing to them and I'm so much more cynical than you guys because I wonder what was edited out of the original drafts!!!!!

Regards
Rob