PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Green Endorsements ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2018, 11:30
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
A long time ago I wrote up a winchman for an 'honour or award' for going above and beyond to rescue a casualty at the base of a cliff in very heavy seas.
I then got a short missive to tell me that: a. As I hadn't been written up (as Capt of the aircraft) he couldn't have one, b. I hadn't been on the flight long enough to know bravery!! (this was my seventh flying tour) and c. It wasn't the done thing anyway.

Needless to say I was a bit miffed (actually very p...... off) and spoke at length to the sender, pointing out that I had done little more than sit in the hover whilst my crewman had been at the end of 300ft of cable wedged in rocks and being battered by very large seas, and I had enough experience to recognise when someone deserved an award. Nothing was done until just before he retired - he received an AOC's commendation (for services rendered!). I believe he went on to a successful career as a commercial pilot.

I should add: A few years later I was awarded a GE, but I never thought I deserved it. All I did was use prior experience/knowledge and self preservation and we all walked away.

Last edited by Shackman; 19th Mar 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Later addition