PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2018, 09:22
Dreamflight80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi max1980,

I haven't taken a decision yet, I'm still considering...
If I decide to go for it, I'll try to commence flight training at CAE Brussels (former Sabena FTO). First part of their training is only theory which is given in Belgium. This is quite convenient concerning my living costs as I won't have to move for the first 6/7 months.
Both flight schools have an outstanding reputation. I'm only considering integrated training to have the shortest route - quite important at our age.

One month ago, I had a chat with the Training Advisor of CAE Brussels to discuss my dilemma. It was a good discussion, without any sales talk, just a no nonsense conversation.
Obviously, he can't guarantee a flying job after graduation. The oldest student they had was 37 years old and managed to get a flying job.
He understood my fear of not finding a job and 'throwing away' 100k.
So he asked me this: "Will you always have big regret if you never tried to become a professional pilot? Or are you able to have another career outside of aviation?"
He gave me the advice to take sufficient time to answer these questions.

He also underlined that most airlines fly 95% of the time on automatic pilot. So don't expect to fly a lot manually.

Have you decided yet?

Greets