PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent pitch trimmer input causing structural failure
Old 19th Mar 2018, 09:11
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghenghis.... until the the C182 trim runaway accident, I do not think many instructors were teaching trim runaway or issues with the autopilot. Those who read the C182 accident report probably do.

In terms of certification, I agree that it should not be possible to 'snag' the trim from a certication point, yes trim runaway should be in the POH and it should be made clear that through brute strength you can maintain attitude. I think in the case of the C182 accident had the two pilots (husband and wife) had trim runaway in their mindset they would have had a better chance, likewise they could have thrown the master switch. On that point I have come across some pilots on renewals think turn off the master switch will stop the engine! This problem with trim had previously occured, but the engineer could find any fault. I wonder if this flagged up anything with the C182 pilots in terms of a discussed gameplan if this happened again.

I am not sure the CAA or EASA should mandate that we train or examine in respect eletric trim problems, but the good examiners and instructors will go the extra mile as they did when I did my SEP and MEP training.

It is interesting that the RAF train for out of trim onditions on the Tucano, my concern on a civil type (particularly microlights) is the stress that it might put on the trim tab in the short or longer term. I wonder if the Tucano has a history of trim runaway.

Last edited by anchorhold; 19th Mar 2018 at 09:21.