PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Back in the day....
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2018, 08:42
OldnDaft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the policy was introduced, all maternity pers were posted to Personnel Holding Flight (PHF) at Innsworth - I was the first Maternity Clerk to administer these cases. To say the policy was rushed is an understatement, it was genuinely being made on the hoof and was amended on an almost weekly basis in response to various questions/complaints from those involved. For example, initially all the RAF had to do was ensure the returning SP was allocated a post appropriate to their rank and trade/branch so there was no guarantee of a return to the former Unit and we regularly had cases of the SP being posted to a Unit hundreds of miles from the previous duty station. Clearly, this was challenged and the poor staff in what was then known as S10(Air) had to attend employment tribunals etc. Eventually the policy was amended and posts had to be held open for the duration of the maternity absence. It was a very interesting job for a youngish SAC and I had an early insight into policy making by attending meetings with ranks up to and including 1*; I felt valued as my opinion was always considered and in some cases acted upon - a totally different kind of post as it followed my first tour at Bruggen!