PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet dives to avoid another plane; 4 are hurt
Old 27th Sep 2003, 17:48
Fox3snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontious...

Good question and unfortunately I can only answer on a practical viewpont rather than a specific doctrine as we work with operatives from all Air Forces and of course most do things differently.

Certainly common sense should prevail whilst transitting to and from the tactical area's through civil airspace (and very busy airspace in this case) it would be paramount that the anti col or equivelent are displayed.

The problem we have found with the environment here is what defines the tactical area as far as perceived threats go, for example the US treated this particular sand drenched friendly country as an operational environment and would have flares etc. armed such that on final and departures on numerous occassions the skies over our pretty city looked like a Sydney Harbor new years celebration and the odd villa was showered in flares, this coupled with them going "tactical" straight after take off with the extinguishing of all anti col led to a huge thumping from the local civil and military authorities and this procedure had to cease. Additionally RTF was introduced for the US operators to confirm that there counter measures were "safe" before they were allowed to join the approach environment.

I know of one very very nasty airmiss (of many) on the tactical boundary entry point to the North East that involved a Brit and a US asset, with the US aircraft "blacked out" and at a non conformal level, but I think I have harped on enough about that, I have only mentioned a military conflict here, the civil/military conflicts were numerous also .....!