PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines FO Alleges Rape by Captain on MSP Layover
Old 19th Mar 2018, 02:27
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Very touchy subject, and already it seems, emotions are running high.

I definitely sympathize with Victims and understand their reasons for not going straight to police, or the circumstances which might prevent them from doing so. Unfortunately the longer they wait, the more it becomes a case of He said/She said as most evidence is long gone. That's not "Victim blaming" it's the unfortunate reality of facts. The Drugs have long since left the victims system, DNA has washed away and witnesses memories fade.

If this case causes more women to come forward, then it's highly likely the Captain is guilty. While there's a first time for everything, I doubt he would have chosen a colleague on a layover as his first date rape victim. As such, he's probably done it before... or not at all. But that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately, I fear movements such as a #Metoo are actually doing more harm than good. While there's no doubt in my mind that Harvey Weinstein is a pig of a man who abused his position, I also have no doubts that some actresses were willing to do anything to advance their careers, enabling his behaviour. Remember folks, being a misogynistic arsehole isn't illegal. There's been a lot of allegations, but (to my knowledge) no charges have been laid.

Honestly, I don't have any answers with how we deal with Rape allegations any differently. Some men are Rapists and I have zero sympathy for their lives being destroyed, but some women are also liars, and their victims have their lives destroyed before it even goes to court. I suppose, both parties should have total name supression while the investigation and trial is completed.