PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines FO Alleges Rape by Captain on MSP Layover
Old 19th Mar 2018, 02:05
Blind Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statistics help us very little when it comes to sexual violence. These are what sociologists call "dark numbers." We will never know the true number of rapes and sexual assaults because we rely on victims to report them. Some will never do so; others do not even realise that what happened to them was a crime. Similarly, there is no way of determining the proportion of true and false allegations, the more so inasmuch as no consensus exists over what constitutes a "false" allegation (is it one, for example, where the complainant maliciously fabricates a story out of whole cloth, or one where the complainant genuinely but incorrectly believes a crime took place?). Given these limitations, we should treat any statistical data as indicative rather than determinative.

All that noted, there are things we can say about sexual violence with a high degree of confidence. The first is that a great deal of it occurs, against both sexes. The second is that women and girls are a majority of victims, and men and boys a majority of perpetrators, though strong minorities exist in both categories (in Britain around one in eight reported rapes occurs to adult men; in the U.S. around one in five). The third is that the majority of cases—how large a majority it's impossible to say—goes unreported. The fourth is that the attrition rate in cases brought to the attention of law enforcement is extremely high, so that only a trivial proportion of reported rapes results in custodial sentences. Lastly, rape is a crime suffered by the young, but often perpetrated by older people. For both sexes, the moment of highest risk occurs at the age of sixteen. One's chances of suffering sexual violence begins to fall sharply after one's twentieth, and precipitously after one's thirtieth, birthday, though it never diminishes to zero. All of what I've just said is true of every country in the world in which any kind of worthwhile data exist.

In this specific case, nothing about the complainant's story seems incredible to me. I have heard many similar ones, from people who are neither vindictive, ideologically driven nor angling for a payout. (Often they don't report what happened to them because they don't want the perpetrator to go to jail. They just want him or her to acknowledge the wrongdoing, and not to do it again.) It's often forgotten that successful rapists, by dint of practice, become frighteningly good at what they do. And many of them—Jimmy Savile, Kevin Spacey, Larry Nassar and others—can be almost unbelievably blatant in the commission of their acts. I personally know one woman, a senior professional, who was sexually assaulted at a formal dinner at which I, and a couple of hundred other people, were present. The perp relied on the victim's incredulity, and her reluctance to create a public scene, to get away with it. It later transpired that he had done this to many, many other people.

I'm not sure that I'm following the objections of some of the posters upthread to the action that FO Pina has taken. Nobody is suggesting that merely because she has levelled an accusation, what she says ought to be taken as unquestioned truth. She has asked the civil courts to render a verdict, and on her will rest the burden of convincing a jury of her, and the defendant's, peers that she is telling the truth. Previous experience shows that she faces an uphill job in doing so. But she is surely entitled at least to seek redress by these means.

Like Cows above, my belief is that in the world of commercial aviation, many more such cases exist than ever see the light of day. The chance to occupy the left-hand seat in the cockpit is keenly contested; deciding who fills it is almost entirely in the hands of men; and opportunities to shunt an aspirant off the path—or to ensure that her or his professional career will go thus far but no further—are not few. Boat-rocking of any kind is not encouraged in aviation circles. My guess is that any successful woman pilot will have had to grit her teeth quite a few times along the way, and that some of them will have had to put up with a great deal more than that.