PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines FO Alleges Rape by Captain on MSP Layover
Old 18th Mar 2018, 19:43
SWBKCB

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboyike
I don't know, Ollie, I'm probably a little old-fashioned (despite being relatively young), but I believe there are things a Captain (as opposed to just an employee with four stripes sitting in the left seat) just shouldn't do. Part of my job is to keep my crew safe and legal (including, to the extent possible, on overnights). If other crewmembers want to get liquored up, that's their business, but if "things got out of control" with MY PARTICIPATION, to me that's a reflection on my leadership abilities (or lack thereof). I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, but it is what it is.
Those working for an UK employer should be aware of this case.

The Employment Appeals Tribunal(EAT) concurred with the tribunal findings, that these acts were committed in the course of his employment, and the incidents, although 'social events' away from the police station, were extensions of the workplace. They came within the definition of course of employment as determined by the Court of Appeal in Jones v Tower Boot Co. Ltd [1997] IRLR 168 CA.

The EAT stated that it would have been different had the discriminatory acts occurred during a chance meeting. Hence work-related social functions may be interpreted as an extension of employment.

https://www.thompsonstradeunion.law/...ty-or-off-duty