PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines FO Alleges Rape by Captain on MSP Layover
Old 18th Mar 2018, 13:26
PaxBritannica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@4468 I'm sorry this has made you so agitated. I'm merely listing facts.

If we get down to numbers:

Roughly 2% of rape accusations in the UK are 'false'. Of those, less than half make it to be formal accusations, and 1% result in convictions which are later overturned. That's 1% of 2%, ie 1 person per 10,000 accusations.

It's estimated half a million adults are sexually assaulted every year in the UK (99K are full rapes). Only 15% are reported to the police, ie 75,000. Of those, less than 6% result in convictions, ie 4,500 convictions per 500,000 actual assaults. The stats in the previous paragraph suggest roughly half a person per year may be wrongly convicted - one man every two years.

To sum up - each year:

425,000 assaults take place but are not reported.
420,500 perps go unpunished.
0.5 people are convicted unjustly.

Do you really feel the system is biased against the 0.5?

The stats can be argued against - some wrongful convictions may never be discovered, so the 0.5 is presumably lower than the actual number of falsely imprisoned men. How many of the 4,500 do you think are victims of lies? How high a false-accusation rate is acceptable to you? Is any false-accusation rate acceptable to you?

Note: the vast majority of men who sexually assault other humans have a 90% chance of getting away with it, even in a country like the UK.

I think there is a wave of male panic that the notion of 'consent' is being brought into sharp focus, and that older men in particular will have to learn new behaviours. All change is painful.