PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - White, camo or hemp?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2018, 11:33
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
White, camo or hemp?

The thread title about the unfortunate Vulcan XH 477 accident in 1963 prompted me to ask about the various colour schemes for the three V bomber types.

As is well-known all three types started their lives in what was known as "anti-flash" white (other than prototypes) , and I personally think they never looked better. I am not sure when the switch to camo began, did it pre-date the switch from high to low level role for the Vulcans, and why were Valiants which were never in the low level role latterly painted in the camo scheme? Similarly tankers, both Valiant and Victors, were never operated at low level, but all were repainted in camo, first in gloss, then in a rather horrible matt finish which survives on XA 648 at Duxford. I do have a 1965 picture of Victor K1 XA 918 in white, but as far as I know it was the only tanker to have operated in that scheme

The K2s of course then went to the very boring and unflattering hemp finish in which they ended their days. Seeing pictures of a B2 in its original white, then in camo and finally in hemp is like seeing pictures of an old friend ageing - and not at all graciously.

Any thoughts or opinions on the reasoning behind the various colour schemes?