PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TriStars to fly again?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2018, 11:06
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Our SEngO told me that he'd felt the impact in his office. The loss of fuel in the subsequent circuit included some which fell on a chap doing some welding on an industrial estate - he wisely stopped!

I saw the photos which were taken of the damage - quite horrifying. And yes, evidence of a previous repair was also uncovered.

On the Flying Supervisors' Course, we were given a detailed account of the incident, including CVR transcript. Which IIRC included the comment "It shouldn't have done that"....

Then there was the RAF TriStar which was being used by boffins to test IR jammers for a Royal trip to the Middle East for HM with ba. I was having tea in the Brize OM with a 216 chap and we heard an engine being wound up to max chat, followed by a very loud thudding noise as it surged. "That sounded expensive", my colleague said - and indeed it was.

But nothing like as expensive as the damage caused when someone held in a circuit breaker which kept tripping, whereupon the electrical circuit acted as a large and expensive fuse for the CB. That took months to repair...

Early RAF days with the TriShaw were indeed....interesting!