PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines FO Alleges Rape by Captain on MSP Layover
Old 18th Mar 2018, 03:20
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the FO's tearful interview was the lead story on Friday's Good Morning America, video has been added to the link posted earlier:

Alaska Airlines pilot accuses co-pilot of rape in lawsuit, calls it a 'not-dealt-with issue in our industry' - ABC News

The actual lawsuit as filed is here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...-Airlines.html

The suit appears long on accusations and short on evidence to me.

I've been told in other cases that the civil suit is sometimes filed to get things like internal HR documents, emails and investigation results into the court system and potentially into the public domain.

Since this discovery phase can be costly and possibly promote negative media coverage for the defendant, particularly in the #MeToo era, there is pressure to reach a settlement before the case goes to trial.

According to the court document linked above, the captain said 'We're f****d, we're f****d.' Obviously the FO was thinking 'What do you mean we, Kemosabe?'

I'm guessing that the airline will settle for several million dollars rather than risk a media circus trial in a progressive Seattle courtroom.

A couple of details in the lawsuit that catch my eye. It is acknowledged that the captain denied any sexual contact. Also, the suit mentions that the FO took her birth control pill the next morning. Are these details mentioned to correlate with previous testimony in the company's investigation which will be uncovered by a discovery subpoena?