PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry First Officer
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2018, 23:25
Scoreboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avi8safely
Thanks, gentlemen.

I know my total time hasn't met CX requirement, but I'm flying 80 hours a month. So I thought I'm gonna be eligible to apply for sooner or later.

About the culture I mentioned, those of you seem to be aware of asian culture whilst others doesn't have an idea of what it is.
I totally agree that right assertion is an essential part for flight safety and I gotta say something I have to say in the cockpit. But the thing is that culture can't always come before flight safety unfortunately and I think this is oriented from air force as ex-air force pilots make a large portion of airline industry.

I might be defending myself but these are some practices of culture in my country.

FO should show up and examine all the plans, wx and notams before captain comes.
FO should walk behind or at least half step behind captain.
FO should introduce him/herself before flight if it's the first flight with captain.
FO should wear a coat if captain shows up with coat on in winter times and shouldn't wear if captain doesn't.
FO should ask captain what time he/she’s gonna have breakfast next morning on layover flight (so that FO will have breakfast with captain not to make the captain eat alone.)
FO shouldn't turn his/her map or chart light on brighter than captain's.
and many more...

One day at night flight, a captain told me that I'm rude because I didn't turn my map light towards him when he was reading weight and balance sheet.

I love flying and it's why I chose this job. But this culture issues make my job difficult.

LoL too funny but yeah it happens. I can answer some here as what i do as a captain at CX.

1. Reading all the details of the flight is like yeah we are pilots so i expect you to have read them at the same time i have read them. So we both know ****.DUH

2. Your a human being, walking behind me will give me a sore neck....like my children you walk beside me your my equal in most regards. My rank only gives me authority....like being a Dad/Mum we know more **** because we been around longer, respect us but we know you going to be an adult one day and do your own thing.

3.introduce yourself? Umm yeah we all shake hands and say g’day.

4.coat wearing if captain wears coat? .i wear a coat because its cold you dont then your a dumbass. All i care is your sharp dressed,what you do on a cold or hot day is an adult choice. Though some captains do feel that we should all look the same? But its personal.

4. You can join me for breakfast if u see me there and wish to, but if you dont, I dont care. But as any other normal human being see someone who they know....if you saw the captain you would say good morning. Its happened to me and the FO was going to sit with someone else I am not humiliated and had a quick good morning and i went back to reading. Dont be rude...but be yourself. Me personally am fine and can function being alone at a table. Wonder what sorry individuals need that reaffirmation.......

5. I can fly an aircraft around the world....then i can turn on my own map light to read my weight and balance...sheesh....and if u need a light just turn it on. I could even see me laughing if a captain had dare said I was rude for not pointing my light for him...when i was an FO. Would have said something like “ if you cant turn on a light by yourself then how can u possibly fly this aircraft?” Bet that would have lit a fuse under his ass.

Noone will dismiss for the above if u pushed back. Just stare at them like they are dog**** and as human beings you should show your disdain for individuals who make themselves better by belittling others. Just do your job safely.

But thats me as a captain at cx.....most my mates who are captains are the same.